During a Valorant stream, Tarik questioned why his financially-struggling viewers were watching him. Check out the clip below to see what he said. Details are after the clip.
Says Tarik, “If you can’t afford to pay for your f*****g haircut, then why are you on Twitch?”
Tarik goes on to say, “You shouldn’t be sitting here watching me right now. You should be trying to get your life together. “ The rest of the clip is Tarik repeating the same statement.
Why did Tarik tell his viewers to get their lives together?
At face value, Tarik’s statement sounds like he’s telling his “poorer” viewers that they should stop watching him and focus more on working so they can afford a better lifestyle.
Context is important, so here’s the rundown of what happened just a few minutes before the clip:
- Tarik mentions he paid $1k for an adjustable desk with power outlets and other features
- Chat questions why he’d spend so much on a desk
- Tarik says his chat freaks out over $30 for a haircut being too expensive
- Some people in chat disagree and think $30 is a lot for a haircut
- Tarik says “$30 is not expensive, if you’re paying any less than 20 bucks for a haircut find a new barber.”
- Chat question marks him (i.e. they all reply with “??????”)
- Tarik: “If they’re charging you less than $20 bucks they’re not valuing their work or they don’t do good work.”
- Chat mentions some of them are poor.
- Tarik: “If you’re poor and have to pay $5 bucks for a haircut then okay, but I don’t know where you’re finding this guy.”
- Clip begins
Are streamers out of touch?
To sum up the issue, some of Tarik’s viewers aren’t as financially well-off as he is. He’s made a lot of money streaming games, so his lifestyle is much different than those of his viewers. When some of his viewers have to decide between getting gas or groceries for the day, the last thing they want to hear is their favorite streamer bragging about spending exorbitant amounts of money.
Speaking from experience, sometimes it’s nice to put on a Twitch stream after a long day of work. So it’s understandable why viewers were unhappy that they were criticized for watching the stream.
Tarik’s message to his viewers to get their lives together is admirable but could have been presented in a different way to avoid angering his viewers.